This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Discussions under General

Ask questions about ManagedEsent usage or the ESENT API in general.

Is this project finding a new home?

first post: nanderto wrote: Is this project moving to github? or some where else? I found what ...

latest post: mthorp wrote: We are putting together our plan for moving off of CodePlex and wil...

EsentTooManySortsException from GetColumnDictionary()

first post: nblumhardt wrote: Hello, I have an application using 1.9.1.0; the binary is unchang...

latest post: martinc wrote: I didn't get a mail notification either! It's almost as if codeplex...

ESnetMissingLogFIleException Current log file missing, when trying to open groove database

first post: Desert_Fox wrote: Hi, a while ago I posted already here (https://managedesent.codep...

latest post: Desert_Fox wrote: Thank you again martinc for your help, I finally managed to check o...

Reading an online ESE database

first post: Ashish2108 wrote: HI All I have a process which is inserting data into the ESE data...

EsentFileIOBeyondEOFException

first post: orco365 wrote: hey, I got a new exception which I try to understands: 'EsentFile...

latest post: martinc wrote: Yup, that's a weird one. Try looking in the application event log t...

Improving random insert performance / prereading latch pages(?)

first post: MichaelWint wrote: On a project I'm working on, for better layout for reads, inserts u...

Documentation for the ETW provider for ESENT?

first post: MichaelWint wrote: Today I was giddy to see that recent versions of esent emit ETW eve...

KB3199209 cause failures on comaction in Windows 10 machines

first post: Ayende wrote: I have the following code that started failing recently. I believ...

Cannot access a disposed object.

first post: luisfco wrote: Hi all I'm using PersistentDisctionary(String, string) And sometim...

Data not beeing saved in edb file

first post: almperez wrote: Hi, Maybe I'm beeing dump or missing some step, but I've created ...

latest post: mthorp wrote: There is one issue with your code, which is preventing it from runn...

What to do if JetRollback fails?

first post: MichaelWint wrote: JetRollback's documentation has this comment: "On failure, the tr...

latest post: MichaelWint wrote: I apologize for not responding earlier. Thanks for the reply / conf...

Unable to find an entrypoint...

first post: nanderto wrote: Is this project compatible with Windows 10? I have worked with this...

latest post: mthorp wrote: That was my theory too. I was hoping a dump could confirm where ese...

The database page size does not match the engine, trying to open Groove Music Database

first post: Desert_Fox wrote: I'm currently trying to open the Groove Music Database to read from...

latest post: Desert_Fox wrote: Thank you very much, that solved my problem :) Greetings Michael

How to set CacheSizeMax after the constructor of PersistentDictionary has been run?

first post: feichen wrote: Here is my scenario: I have a code that uses PersistentDictionary(...

latest post: martinc wrote: Try using the `Database` property. ``` /// /// Ge...

Unmanaged memory use with Managed Esent / PersistentDictionary

first post: mzboray wrote: When starting on our project we stored records of items in a plain ...

latest post: feichen wrote: How to set CacheSizeMax after the constructor of PersistentDictiona...

How to avoid / handle VersionStoreOutOfMemory

first post: ajbearon wrote: I'm new to Esent, and am trying to use PersistentDictionary, but I ...

latest post: laurionb wrote: The version store is an in-memory list of changes made by database ...

Q: Open the Active Directory Database?

first post: adamjbradley wrote: Wondering if I can use this Managed Interface to open an AD ESENT D...

latest post: grafnetter wrote: This might be done by extending the [DirectoryAgent](https://github...

How to determine JetSetSystemParameter values

first post: graye wrote: Is there an easy way to determine the list of parameters that need ...

latest post: grafnetter wrote: Yep, you have to poke around in most cases. Some applications might...

Backing up or copying a persistentdictionary

first post: gavinp wrote: Can someone tell me how I can copy or backup a persistentdictionary...

latest post: martinc wrote: If you do a clean shutdown, you can copy the edb file by itself. Be...

Possible to store objects that are not strings, url's, etc

first post: eugenekgn wrote: Can I store something like this // Class public class myObj...

latest post: dotnetchris wrote: > How come it won't be updated? That means that every time I alter ...

how to work with related data-types

first post: irezax wrote: Hello, I've been researching around ESENT and SQLite and after fo...

latest post: martinc wrote: If you actually want to store people, then they should all be in th...

1.9.3 targets Framework 4.5

first post: gfkeogh wrote: I just updated an app NuGet reference from v1.9.2 to v1.9.3 and com...

latest post: martinc wrote: I just uploaded 1.9.3.2, which targets 4.0. -martin

Array alternative

first post: fjch1997 wrote: Hi, I'm writing a program using PersistentDictionary. One of the ...

Status of Microsoft.Database.Isam?

first post: jr76 wrote: Hi - just wondering what the status of the Microsoft.Database.Isam ...

latest post: martinc wrote: Unfortunately, it isn't trivial to unify the directory structure. O...

Write/Flush freezes/hangs

first post: linky wrote: Hi Martin, We are using the esent / managed esent implementation a...

latest post: linky wrote: Hello Martin, Thanks for your reply; > Is this with the Persistent...

End of XP support for ManagedEsent. Thoughts?

first post: martinc wrote: It would make the code simpler if we tore out support for Windows X...

latest post: grafnetter wrote: Hi Martin, I would say that dropping XP support is a logical step. ...

EsentTooManyActiveUsersException when call JetTerm2 with Abrupt grbit

first post: binzywu wrote: Hi, Using managed ESENT and got this exception when call JetTerm2...

latest post: martinc wrote: It's a mistake in the documentation. It's a valid error regardless ...

Multiple dictionaries in a single database?

first post: linky wrote: Hi, We're using PersistentDictionary in one of our applications, a...

latest post: linky wrote: Glad to hear that. If you're interested I can give you our current...

answered by: martinc wrote: This is on the feature roadmap.

Cleanup PersistentDictionary

first post: LionAM wrote: Hello, is there a possibility to make the PersistentDictionary cl...

latest post: martinc wrote: As long as the database was cleanly shut down, then all you need is...

Understanding logs

first post: jesuslpm wrote: I have set up circular logging. I expected that the log files were ...

latest post: jesuslpm wrote: Thanks Michael, I will experiment with ChaeckpointDepthMax parameter.

EsentBackupDirectoryNotEmptyException "The backup directory is not emtpy"

first post: jesuslpm wrote: The follwing line of code is throwing EsentBackuDirectoryNotEmptyEx...

Database corruption issue

first post: MichaelWint wrote: I've received a corrupt database from a customer and my attempts at...

latest post: MichaelWint wrote: Yup, totally fine, thank you.

Problem querying a IE 11 WebCacheV01.dat file

first post: tclahr wrote: Hi, I am trying to query some tables on a IE 11 WebCacheV01.dat fi...

latest post: tclahr wrote: I agree. Thank you very much.

ESENT for web app

first post: SlyFox wrote: Has anyone tried ESENT as a store for relatively small web app? I'm...

latest post: Const_me wrote: For some time, comments on my personal web site were stored in ESEN...

PersistentDictionary and Transactions

first post: steve4you wrote: Hello all,we often need to combine some operations on PersistentDic...

latest post: SlyFox wrote: So no movement here? Is TransctionScope supported?

About Esent project

first post: itaid wrote: Is there a dedicated team behind this product or do Exchange have...

Test driving Microsoft.Database.Isam

first post: Arkej wrote: Hi, I'm new to esent so I might be doing something stupid but I can...

latest post: martinc wrote: Hi Tom. Lots of different topics here. It may get confusing. In the...

Please describe various nuget packages?

first post: ronnieoverby wrote: Could you give a quick overview of how the various Nuget packages d...

latest post: martinc wrote: 1. Yes, you are correct. 2. As you have probably figured out, Mana...

Encryption

first post: ronnieoverby wrote: Does ESENT have any encryption capabilities? What I'm after is the ...

latest post: ronnieoverby wrote: Oh, well... Thanks anyway. And thanks for you're good work on this ...

Non dev Exchange related question

first post: malikye187 wrote: Hello, I'm hoping to get something answered here that I haven't r...

latest post: martinc wrote: It's a simple question with a not-so-simple-answer! Start with thi...

Removing all values of a multi-valued column

first post: ptousig wrote: From what I've understood from the documentation, to remove all the...

latest post: ptousig wrote: Yep. So I first have to RetrieveColumn to see how many values it ha...

Shrinking ESE files (kind of) -- Sparse Files

first post: martinc wrote: I finally wrote up a blog entry on how to use Sparse Files in ESE: ...

Detecting if a session has an active transaction / getting transaction level

first post: MichaelWint wrote: Basically, the subject line. I had a longstanding bug just found to...

latest post: martinc wrote: You can use Api.JetGetSystemParameter() and pass in 38 as the JET_p...

Online compaction - flag usage

first post: nblumhardt wrote: Hello! Thanks for the great project. Via other threads here I've ...

get records via "or" criteria

first post: eddy1973 wrote: Hi , I have a table in esent db: Id Value Message 1 55...

latest post: martinc wrote: You probably need to create an index over 'Value'. Will the 'Value'...

how to use ensure durable commit?

first post: jr76 wrote: I'm a little confused with how to use the CommitTransactionGrbit to...

latest post: jr76 wrote: Yes, makes perfect sense. I figured that 'None' was probably what I...

answered by: martinc wrote: You want 'None'. That's the regular durable commit. WaitLastLevel0...

JET_errAttachedDatabaseMismatch

first post: gfkeogh wrote: Hello folks, I'm writing a Windows Forms utility that is like a lig...

latest post: martinc wrote: Over the past few months, there have been four separate posts about...

The WebCache from IE 10 and up using ese.dll or esent.dll

first post: Leomon38 wrote: I think it is using Esent library, I currently have trouble to conn...

latest post: Leomon38 wrote: I actually made it work but everytime I have to use esentutil -p to...

Using SeekEQ with partial keys

first post: ptousig wrote: Is it possible to seek with SeekEQ using a partial key? Let's say...

latest post: ptousig wrote: You're right, that worked. Thanks.

answered by: martinc wrote: Correct, a SeekEQ won't work the way you want. You were right that...

JetUpdate bookmark size makes no sense

first post: ptousig wrote: I don't understand how this can happen... int bookmarkSize = 4; ...

latest post: martinc wrote: Any simple type (except maybe GUID) that is <= 8 or < 16 or so byte...

answered by: martinc wrote: Any simple type (except maybe GUID) that is <= 8 or < 16 or so byte...

Using Api.RetrieveColumns to get multi-valued count

first post: ptousig wrote: Is it possible to use Api.RetrieveColumns to get the number of valu...

latest post: martinc wrote: I just checked, and no. I modified HowDoI.cs from the test suite to...

Access violation in Esent

first post: Ayende wrote: I am running jet compact on a 30GB database, and I am getting the f...

latest post: Ayende wrote: The code we call is: ``` using (var session = new Session(compactI...

Search between indicies using or criteria

first post: Rucka wrote: Hi All, Sample "Stock" shows how intersect indicies in order to i...

Calculated column

first post: shadimari wrote: how can i perform the following query over esent db?... this seems ...

latest post: martinc wrote: I confess that my SQL knowledge is very weak. Is this for a one-off...

How can I search strings with "EndsWith" condtion.

first post: jetpilot36 wrote: I'm trying to search strings for an Unicode column with Api.MakeKe...

latest post: martinc wrote: Unfortunately, there is no easy way to do it. ESE indexes things by...

Any way to use this as a ConcurrentQueue?

first post: mika76 wrote: I have an implementation using the ConcurrentQueue but I need it to...

PersistentDictionary constructor throws FileLoadException when called from new version of dll

first post: oyvind99 wrote: I have a dll that calls the PersistentDictionary constructor as _di...

latest post: martinc wrote: Tracking down Load failures can be annoying! Either use the Fusion ...

Is PersistentDictionary loaded into memory?

first post: andiih wrote: My app is going to (over time) end up with a very large dictionary ...

latest post: andiih wrote: Many thanks. That's excellent news! Everything seems to be way too ...

Simple OR query

first post: stevead wrote: I apologize for asking a seemingly dumb question, but is there an e...

latest post: martinc wrote: The simplest is to do the three separate queries. Or you could prob...

Data migration strategies

first post: tronda wrote: In the project I'm currently working on, we are using ManagedEsent ...

Slow seek / iteration performance on non-unique secondary index.

first post: MichaelWint wrote: Further qualifications: the table had probably about 40 million rec...

latest post: MichaelWint wrote: martinc wrote: It's likely that after you deleted the records, the...

Text not equals search index value

first post: Rucka wrote: Hi all, I need to retrieve from a string index all values not exac...

Customizing ESE logging with JET_paramEventSourceKey

first post: MichaelWint wrote: This is partially a repeat of this question here: http://social.msd...

latest post: MichaelWint wrote: Oops, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Thanks for lookin...

How do I seek records matching criteria from multiple non-unique columns?

first post: Reyhn wrote: Hi! Basically, I want to know how to do the following SQL query: ...

latest post: Reyhn wrote: Oh. I see. When I replace ``` Api.JetMakeKey(_sessionId, tableId...

ManagedEsent is part of Windows 8.1, and documented on MSDN

first post: martinc wrote: (Also posted to http://blogs.msdn.com/b/martinc/archive/2013/09/05/...

Performace of Persitent Dictionary

first post: Kuus wrote: Hello everyone, I wonder if anyone encoutered the kind of really ...

latest post: martinc wrote: Hi Kuus, Is your data access sequential or random? Assuming it's r...

Getting EsentFileAccessDeniedException from Api.JetInit

first post: jgpandit wrote: Hello, I am new to Esent and am just starting writing my prototyp...

latest post: jgpandit wrote: This problem was resolved by setting the Instance Parameters. In m...

EsentOutOfSessionsException - limit of sessions

first post: linky wrote: Hi, First of all: Thank you for this library - it works really gre...

latest post: martinc wrote: The Legal People prohibit us from accepting source contributions; s...

answered by: martinc wrote: PersistentDictionary.cs has: this.instance.Parameters.M...

Running ManagedEsent with Linq support on .NET framework 4.0

first post: tronda wrote: I would like to get .NET Framework 4.0 support including the LINQ s...

latest post: martinc wrote: Yes, 1.6 ought to work just fine. There were been some minor bug fi...

Errors in the Event Viewer when the PersistentDictionary writes to a network share

first post: csbrass wrote: We are using the PersistentDictionary to cache data. We do not have...

latest post: martinc wrote: You are correct that PersistentDictionary.Instance is a private var...

Reading via a non-unique index

first post: gfkeogh wrote: Hello everyone, I've just returned to ESENT coding after almost 2 y...

latest post: martinc wrote: Greg, as far as 'cookbook' samples go, you should try looking throu...

Exact search on a long text index

first post: special_ wrote: Hello everyone, I'm trying to search in a longtext index and have ...

latest post: martinc wrote: Did you find a solution for this? One possibility is that null-ter...

Error: too many outstanding generations between checkpoint and current generation

first post: murban wrote: I am using version 1.6 because i do not have dot net 4.5 installed....

Open a database more than once in different instances

first post: SteveLockley wrote: In the ESE documentation it says that if you open a database read o...

latest post: SteveLockley wrote: I have done this martin and it works just fine thanks, it wasn’t ...

JetRestoreInstance issue on WS2003

first post: Ayende wrote: Hi, I got a problem with JetRestoreInstance. Same code is working...

latest post: martinc wrote: I finally got a chance to look at this. Thanks a lot for the repro ...

Out of table cursors - error

first post: bayganik wrote: What does this error mean? Too many JetSessions opened at same tim...

Dealing with column default values

first post: phil_h wrote: Hi all, I'm just starting to develop an application using the Man...

latest post: martinc wrote: Now I'm picturing you in Thames House in a _Spooks_ episode, or wor...

Nuget package targeted 4.0 runtime

first post: fcschow wrote: 1.8.3.2 seems to require 4.5 runtime. Got following runtime error w...

latest post: martinc wrote: Thanks for the report! I received conflicting comments about wheth...

Create a tuple index on binary column to get the record matching substring

first post: Inmarmine wrote: Hi, How do i create a tuple index on column of type JET_coltyp.Bi...

Out of Memory(Microsoft.Isam.Esent.Interop.EsentOutOfMemoryException)

first post: debruyee wrote: Hi, I am trying to use the persistence dictionary in one of my pr...

latest post: martinc wrote: I haven't had the time to try it out myself. ESE should be able to ...

Seek to record with minimum value of integer column

first post: codebuster wrote: Hi, how do I construct a search key to seek to a record with mini...

latest post: codebuster wrote: Works like a charm with decent performance :D Thanks for ponting m...

Linq of the TValue of a Persistent Dictionary, a bad idea?

first post: belitre wrote: I was testing Persistent Dictionary in the following scenario: A d...

latest post: belitre wrote: Thank you both. If I eventually need more query support, I will go ...

no SafeHandles

first post: bjfurino wrote: I'm attempting to build my first Metro app with Esent. I create a ...

latest post: martinc wrote: By the way, I'm working on a new drop now that has the signed versi...

Int64 and Decimal

first post: gfkeogh wrote: I just discovered that I didn't read the documentation properly and...

latest post: martinc wrote: While a Guid would have enough bits to store a Decimal, the bits wo...

JetDupCursor is missing from WinRT version, ok?

first post: bayganik wrote: I am new to ManagedEsent. I am trying to compile the StockSample ...

latest post: asavasamuel wrote: bayganik Here is a database compatible with WinRT: https://www....

StringColumnValue as ASCII

first post: AceHack wrote: How do I used StringColumnValue helper class and set it to ASCII. ...

latest post: martinc wrote: Sorry, it's only set up to use Unicode. -martin

PersistentDictionary performance

first post: vlangber wrote: I'm a bit puzzled by the performance numbers from the documentation...

latest post: MichaelWint wrote: In addition to what Const_me said about the differences between the...

JetResizeDatabase question

first post: MichaelWint wrote: I came across JetResizeDatabase yesterday and got excited since it ...

latest post: martinc wrote: JetDefragment() does not coalesce free space at the end of the file...

Primary index size

first post: Ayende wrote: I have a table that has 41,915 rows in it. It has the following in...

latest post: MichaelWint wrote: Const_me wrote: AFAIK that separate long value storage does not co...

Bulk inserts

first post: Ayende wrote: Is there a way to optimize things if I want to insert large number...

latest post: arek wrote: Hi. My question is related to the post where I already asked about ...

How to get Column Info in same order as created

first post: bayganik wrote: Is there a way to retrieve the column information in the same orde...

latest post: martinc wrote: We don't store the order that you create the columns, so the short ...

Attaching a db that needs defraging fails (EnableIndexChecking = false)

first post: Ayende wrote: Hi, We are trying to run the following code to defrag a database: ...

latest post: martinc wrote: JET_paramEnableIndexChecking is pretty messy. It actually defaults...

Esent cache and seeking for random text

first post: arek wrote: We have encountered an issue in which I think is related to a way ...

latest post: martinc wrote: Unfortunately there are a TON of dials to tweak to get the absolut...

Keep retrieving the same record (sequential search)

first post: bayganik wrote: I am using the following code to retrieve all records from an ESE ...

latest post: Const_me wrote: You could consider using my esentserialize framework. It has basic...

Determine location of all database files

first post: bayganik wrote: I really like to keep the log files of my ESE database with the ma...

latest post: bayganik wrote: Martin, Thank you very much for the reply. This is a fantastic pr...

Finding free space available in database

first post: lsanil wrote: I am trying to implement disk based caching solution on top of ESE...

latest post: lsanil wrote: Thank you martin, this pointer should be good enough. The nice thi...

PersistentDictionary Throwing "Version store out of memory (cleanup already attempted)" Error

first post: tjbrown wrote: I'm using the PersistentDictionary and it is working great until I...

Need Windows 8 Store Example

first post: bjfurino wrote: Has anyone used Managed Esent on a Windows 8 Store app (C# / XAML)...

latest post: martinc wrote: The biggest difference between Windows Store Apps and Desktop is t...

Tracking Esent Memory Usage

first post: MattWarren wrote: I'm looking for a way to track where Esent is using memory when it...

latest post: martinc wrote: First of all: Yes, Cache Page Size is equal to Database Page Size....

Never mind

first post: marfarma wrote: Deleted