This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Viewer or Exporter for Esent

Sep 16, 2010 at 11:22 AM


does anybody know some viewer or exporter for data in esent db?

Thx in advance,

Sep 16, 2010 at 11:03 PM

Several weeks ago I ran a web search for such tools, but I think I only found one as a part of a commercial product that maintained Exchange (or AD?) databases. I would also like to hear from any else here who might know of general purpose ESE support tools. Windows comes with esentutl.exe but it only performs high-level functions and doesn't seem to work at the table data level. I personally plan to use ManagedEsent a lot more in the future, so I have just started a hobby project of support tools I have described here:

I can already import SQL Server tables into ESE tables and I have a proof of concept schema/table browser working, but other features like export aren't ready yet. Laurion has warned that I should only open operating system databases in readonly mode. I'm also not sure yet if it's possible to discover the attributes of an arbitrary database and attach and open it reliably.

Cheers, Greg

Nov 26, 2010 at 1:14 PM

I realize this might be a bit late, but there is a good free ESENT DB viewer out there. Read about it at


Nov 27, 2010 at 12:45 AM

Hi Noel, you gave me a fright when I read that, fearing that the time I've spent on my hobby app would be wasted. However, my app plans seem to be more general than woany's viewer. I won't have table export in various formats working for a week or two, but I've got table viewing in a grid working now in an acceptable fashion.

I'll announce when my app is ready for a preview, perhaps in several weeks. I'm using this app as a self-training exercise to become very competent in WPF, but I'm hiting terrible hurdles everywhere as WPF is absolutely loaded with 'gotchas'. Sometimes the simplest things like making a DataGrid cell change colour, or putting tooltips on controls can take hours of suffering and research to get working. I'm finding that binding is great for simple scenarios, but it's a curse in complex ones where you need custom behaviour. The dreadful problem I'm suffering at the moment is that the whole app will crash on startup on certain versions of Windows with bizarre and untraceable serialization security errors inside the XAML. It may take weeks to find out why this is happening.